Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Taco Soup

Occasionally, all it takes is one time making a recipe for it to become a favorite.  So it was with me and this recipe.  I don't remember how old I was, or for what reason my mom made this soup when I was growing up, but I loved it at first bite!  It's reminiscent of chili, but with taco spices and added ingredients that are delightfully different.  Delicious!

1/1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 14oz cans stewed tomatoes
1 14oz can hominy, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can chili beans
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch dry ranch dressing mix
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 envelope taco seasoning mix

In a large pot or dutch oven, cook beef and onion, stirring occasionally to break up meat, until meat is brown and no longer pink.  Drain fat and return meat to pot.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, Fritos, black olives, jalapenos, and/or any other taco topping you enjoy.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment