Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chicken Rice Casserole

This is a favorite dinner from my childhood.  I loved helping my mom measure the milk using the empty soup can.  It is funny how I remember some very random things from when I was small.  I was talking to my mom about this casserole the other day, and she doesn't even remember making it.  Maybe I'll have her over soon for this dinner, and let her measure the milk in the empty soup can.  Surely that will spark her memory.

1 whole chicken, cut up
2 cups raw white rice, not minute rice
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
3 cans milk, use empty soup can to measure


Preheat oven to 375.  Empty soup into a large mixing bowl and add milk.  Stir well.  Add rice and stir well.  Carefully pour into a greased 9x13 glass casserole dish.  Lay chicken pieces on top, skin side up.  Bake for 60 to 90 minutes, until chicken is done, rice is tender, and liquid is absorbed.


Notes:  While this is the way the original recipe is written, there are many options.  My favorite way is to use all whole chicken wings, or my second choice is to use all drumsticks.


If you want to cut down on the fat and the cooking time, use boneless, skinless chicken breasts.


If you want to use up leftovers and shave off even more cooking time, use leftover cooked rice and cooked cubed chicken, reducing milk to 1 can.  Stir it all together, place in dish and cook until heated through and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

I personally think it tastes best when the chicken still has the skin on, and the rice cooks in the liquid, which makes the creamiest rice ever.


Any way you make it, it is creamy, dreamy comfort food that is perfect for chilly fall days.

No comments:

Post a Comment