Thursday, October 13, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread

I used to never bother with baking my own bread because it takes a long time.  Then I got a bread machine and went through a period of time where I baked bread every day.  Now I've settled into the middle of the road, and I occasionally bake bread in the machine, but I also enjoy making a loaf from scratch every now and then.

Here is a very simple recipe for one loaf of bread.  It is so simple that I haven't tried it in my machine, but I suppose you could try it.  It is a yummy whole wheat loaf that just happens to be vegan.

1 Cup warm water
1/2 Cup applesauce
1 Tbsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour

In large mixing bowl, stir together water, applesauce, and yeast.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  Then add salt and flour, mixing well, and adding additional flour if needed.  Knead well.  Put in loaf pan and let rise to double in size.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.  Remove from pan and cool on rack.

Serves 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment