Monday, September 10, 2012

Apple Coffeecake

Every year, as soon as Labor Day has come and gone, I get into a mood to bake.  Casseroles, cookies, cakes, and other sweet goodies won't leave my mind until I get the oven going.

Thinking about that this morning reminded me of this apple coffeecake from the Pillsbury Complete Baking Book.  I found this recipe when I was single and would often bake evenings and weekends to stave off boredom.  I would take the fruit of my baking labor to work the next day so I wouldn't devour it all myself.

This coffeecake was always a hit.  It is reminiscent of cinnamon roll dough, but it is stuffed with sweet apple pie filling instead of cinnamon.  You could use any flavor pie filling you desire, I'm partial to cherry and blueberry as well.

I think it is best baked in a glass dish, because I always sense a metallic taste in a cake that has been baked in a metal pan.

Apple Coffeecake

2 1/2 to 3 Cups flour
1/4 Cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1/2 Cup milk
1/2 Cup water
1/2 Cup butter
2 eggs
1 (21 oz.) can apple pie filling, or other flavor of your choice

Glaze:
1/2 Cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
3 to 4 tsp milk

In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast; blend well.  In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup milk, water, and butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F).  Add warm liquid and eggs to flour mixture.  Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.  By hand, stir in an additional 1 to 1 1/2 cups flour, to make a stiff batter.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and a cloth towel.  Let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.

Generously grease a 9x13 glass baking dish.  Stir batter; spread 2/3 of batter into greased pan.  Spread apple filling over batter in pan.  Spoon remaining batter by tablespoonfuls randomly over filling.  Connect spoons of batter over top to form a lace pattern.  Cover; let rise in a warm place until light, 20 to 30 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Uncover dough.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly golden.  In small bowl, blend all glaze ingredients, adding enough milk for desired drizzling consistency.  Drizzle glaze over warm coffeecake.  Yields 15 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment