Thursday, September 13, 2012

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

Today is cool and drizzly outside, the perfect fall weather to turn on the oven.

What better reason to turn on the oven than for these soft and chewy oatmeal cookies that are stuffed with plump juice raisins.

This recipe comes from a cookbook called "Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes"(page 485), published in 1992.  This is one of my very favorite cookbooks.  It is a large hardback book filled with delicious recipes and gorgeous pictures.  It has everything from appetizers to main dishes to desserts.  Everything I've ever made from this book has turned out well.

Oatmeal raisin are my favorite kind of cookie, a taste I shared with my mother-in-law.  I used to make these for her when I wanted to tell her how much I loved her.  She's been gone many years now, but I still think of her every time I make them.  Here's to you, Shirley!

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookeis

3 Cups quick cooking oats
2 Cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 Cup butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Cups raisins*

Heat oven to 375 F.  In large mixer bowl combine all ingredients except flour and raisins.  Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 min.)  Add flour; continue beating until well mixed (1 to 2 min.)  By hand, stir in raisins.  Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased cookies sheets.  Bake for 8 to 10 min. or until edges are lightly browned.

*I always soften my raisins before I use them in a recipe.  I like them big and plump, and softening them makes it happen.  I put raisins in a small sauce pan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil on the stove over medium heat.  Turn off heat and let cool to room temperature.  Drain well and use in recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment