Sunday, September 9, 2012

Brownies From Scratch

Hello little cooking blog, I'm sorry to have ignored you for so many months.

I still believe this is a wonderful place to come for all kinds of recipes, and a place my kids can learn more about our family's cooking and eating history.

I have been making these brownies since I was a teenager.  The original recipe came from a magazine, I have no idea which one, it was just a torn piece of paper from a Hershey's Cocoa ad from long ago.

I started making them because I was young enough for my mom to think twice about me using a double boiler, and this recipe does not have you melting chocolate over the stove.  It is still a very chocolatey and moist brownie, but without the mess of chopping and melting chocolate.

I grew up making these, and now my kids have grown up making these, even my teenage son will pull out this recipe when he craves something sweet.

Brownies From Scratch

3/4 Cup Hersey's Cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 Cup oil, divided in half
1/2 Cup boiling water
2 Cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 Cup flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix cocoa and baking soda in a mixing bowl.  Blend in 1/3 cup of the oil.  Add boiling water and stir until thickened, about 1 minute.  Mix in sugar, eggs, rest of oil, and vanilla.  Add salt and flour and mix well.  Pour into a lightly greased 9x13 baking pan.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Do not over bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment