Monday, September 17, 2012

Deviled Chicken

Today's recipe is one of those that didn't even sound good to me when I first saw it in the cookbook (Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes, published 1992, page 13). When I read the ingredients, my first inclination was to turn the page and keep on reading.  However, I was sitting with my lunch buddies at the time, and one of them made me go back to this recipe.  She was so intrigued by it that I told her I would whip some up that night and bring it in for our lunch the next day.  I was expecting to be able to make fun of her for requesting this recipe, thinking no one would like it, especially me.

My first clue that I was wrong about this recipe was that I had all the ingredients on hand at home when I went to make it that night.  A recipe so non-fussy as to allow me to skip a special trip to the store is always looked upon favorably in my eyes.  The clincher was that I had to stop myself from eating it all that night, so I could take it to the judges at the lunch table the next day.

There really isn't anything earth-shattering about this recipe.  It is just good old fashioned American food.  Quick to put together and easily doubled or tripled, it serves as a great appetizer or potluck dish.  It is just as tasty topping a Ritz cracker as it is spread across the fancy rye cocktail bread that the recipe calls for.

Because I have such a large library of appetizer recipes that my family loves, I don't turn to this one as often as I could, but I sure am glad my friend insisted I take a second look!

Deviled Chicken

2 Cups cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 Cup mayonnaise
5 tbsp butter or margarine, melted, DIVIDED
2 tbsp country style Dijon mustard
a pinch of cayanne pepper
1 Cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
1 loaf of rye cocktail bread

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.  In medium bowl, stir together chicken, mayonnaise, 3 tbsp of the butter, mustard and cayenne.  Spread into a 9" glass pie plate.  In small bowl, stir together bread crumbs, parsley, and remaining 2 tbsp butter.  Sprinkle bread crumbs over top of chicken mixture.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and heated through.  Serve spread on cocktail bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment